Canadian business leader in the building materials space (stone wool insulation), with the unique qualification of having successfully entered and succeeded in the US market, from a strong Canadian base. Deep understanding of creating demand and dramatic growth for a unique and sustainable product. Built a business from the “turn-around” stage in 1995 to a 5-factory network, 1,000 employees and sales exceeding $ 500 million in North America. This growth involved, acquisitions, brownfield expansions and greenfield factories in the US. Capital investment approaching $ 1 billion (CAD) and experience in crisis management surrounding factory locations. Recently retired and now advising several companies.
1995 to April 2020:
- President, ROCKWOOL North America (formerly ROXUL); subsidiary of ROCKWOOL International, Denmark.
- Manufacturer of unique stone wool insulation products, which have superior fire, acoustical, and sustainability properties compared to traditional fiberglass and foam products.
- Responsible for Canada, USA and Mexico
- Reporting to Group CEO, Jens Birgersson
- First North American business leader hired by the ROCKWOOL Group.
- Factories in Grand Forks BC, Milton ON and Marshall County, Mississippi. Another greenfield factory in under construction in Ranson, West Virginia, which has drawn unfounded local opposition and the need for crisis management.
- Key Achievements:
- Created a strong company and brand from basically nothing, starting in 1995
- Put Stone Wool on the insulation map in North America, captured significant market share and expanded the category.
- Strong profit levels and return on invested capital
- Developed a strong management team and succession plan.
Previous Experience includes Executive Positions with Sternson Construction Products after an initial 10 years with Dow Chemical.
- Institute of Corporate Directors, ICD.D, (March 2020)
- ICD-Rotman, Directors Education Program, (November, 2019)
- BaSc, Civil Engineering, (1980) University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON